What is Dance Twirl?
As the name suggests Dance Twirl is a combination of Dance and Twirling. It is one particular event that students participate in, in the sport of Baton Twirling. ABTA rules state that Dance & Baton work must be equal eg; 50% Dance & 50% Twirling, and/or a combination of both. Certain elements must be performed in the Juvenile age section and content restrictions apply in routines for all age categories (the degree of difficulty of Twirling is less than in other Baton Twirling events) the theme at State & Nationals for Juvenile, Junior, Senior & Adult Dance Twirl is Free choice.
At Revolution Dance Twirl all Members have the option to be a Competing or Non Competing Member.
Various styles of Dance can be used and all of the major modes of Twirling are used (Contact, Rolls & Aerials).
Aside from the intrinsic reward involved in Dance Twirl, participants also receive many physical, mental & emotional benefits:
- Develops excellent reflexes and improves hand eye co-ordination & ambidexterity.
- Improves balance, posture, flexibility & spatial awareness.
- Builds friendships, encourages teamwork and good sportsmanship.
- Builds self-esteem, confidence, & self-discipline.
- Improves focus, concentration & memory.
- Increases muscle strength, bone density & cardiovascular health.
- Develops & improves musicality & encourages creativity.
- Improves fitness, stamina, agility & strength, & encourages healthy exercise.
- Teaches patience & perseverance.